ELU members participated in unique opportunities in October and we are excited for what is to come in November.
In October ELU members:
- Established multiple collection points across Berks County in support of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, resulting in the collection of nearly 450 hygiene products valued at $1,800 to date.
- Served a Taco Tuesday-themed dinner to the families at Safe Berks and also participated in a sorting project.
- Will participate in our inaugural Kick Out Learning Loss kickball tournament in support of United Way’s Ready.Set.READ! education initiative.
In November ELU members will have the opportunity to:
- Enjoy a unique opportunity where United Way of Berks County has partnered with Reading Area Community College, NAACP, and The Wyomissing Foundation to present a new one-act play, “Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass: A Walk to Respect,” exploring the relationship between these historical figures. The play invites reflection on connecting and communicating despite differences in our current times and offers a free community performance on Wednesday, November 8th at 7:00 PM at the Miller Center for the Arts, underwritten by The Patterson Foundation. Register Here
- Learn about the partnership between United Way and New Journey Community Outreach aimed at addressing food insecurity in Berks County and also hear an inspiring story during a virtual session on Thursday, November 9th at 12:00 PM. Register here
- Prepare Oakbrook Community Garden for winter to ensure continued food support for residents in need on Saturday, November 11th from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM; kids ages 9 and up are welcome. Register Here