This past year we have experienced something unprecedented, and some may be looking for opportunities to help our community. United Way of Berks County has compiled a list of various volunteer opportunities for teens that will add value, build skills, meet needs, encourage teamwork and provide youth leadership experiences. Volunteering has many benefits.
DID YOU KNOW?
Volunteering helps youth explore their interests:
- If someone likes working with kids, they can get involved at a summer camp or help younger students with their schoolwork.
- If they like to cook, they can make dinner for families at a shelter.
We encourage individuals to look for opportunities that allow them to participate in activities that already interest them.
Volunteer activities add value to college applications and work resumes:
- College admission staffs want to know their applicants as a person – well-rounded individuals who will give their best both within and outside the classroom.
- Potential employers want to know if they will show up on time, can take direction, are responsible, and work well with others.
- A good reference from an agency can help them decide if the candidate would be a good college student/employee.
Volunteering allows the opportunity to share talents and knowledge with others and make a positive change in the community:
- Everyone has skills, talents, knowledge, experience, personality, and passion. Volunteering is a great opportunity to teach those skills to others.
- Each of us wants to live in a community where children receive the help they need to succeed in school and where people with disabilities and the elderly can live as independently as possible. Volunteering helps you make your community a better place to live.
LOOKING FOR EVEN MORE REASONS TO VOLUNTEER?
- Gain work experience
- Boost self-esteem by helping others
- Help make our community a better, stronger place
- Enhance college applications and work resume
- Meet new people, make friends & build references
- Gain new skills
- Access scholarship opportunities
- Fulfill school community service requirements
- Experience growth and learn about yourself and others
- It’s fun!
Visit our Youth Summer Volunteer Opportunities page for an extensive of the opportunities available to teens and pre-teens this summer. If you don’t find something there, consider calling your school, church and local service organizations. You can also search more than 100 volunteer opportunities on our Volunteer page.