UNITED WAY OF BERKS COUNTY 2022 LIVE UNITED Grant Guidelines
United Way of Berks County has established the LIVE UNITED Grant to support grassroots, collaborative projects and innovative programs designed to creatively address neighborhood and community challenges.
Download a printable version of the LU Grant Guidelines
LIVE UNITED Grant Purpose:
The LIVE UNITED Grant opportunity is based upon the belief that united, we can all be part of the positive change we wish to see in our community. When people mobilize together for a common goal, we create positive and lasting changes that multiply and build a stronger community for all.
LIVE UNITED Grants are small one-time grants, up to $5,000, provided to grassroots or community-based non-profit organizations working on “great ideas” and creative projects that bring people together to help improve the quality of life for Berks County residents. Proposals may include one-time or ongoing events/projects that present the opportunity to make a big difference in one of the identified target areas using a small amount of funds.
Project ideas and goals must address one of the issue areas within the four focus areas identified by United Way of Berks County and members of our community as the building blocks necessary in creating a thriving community for people to live, work, and raise their families.
- Education: Helping Children and Youth Achieve Their Potential
- Early Care and School Readiness
- School Success
- Youth Development
- Education Case Management
- Financial Stability: Promoting Self-Sufficiency and Independence
- Affordable Housing
- Employment/Job Skills
- Personal Financial Management
- Financial Stability Case Management
- Health: Improving People’s Health
- Mental Health
- Health and Wellness
- Self-Sufficiency and Independent Living
- Health Case Management
- Safety Net Services: Helping Vulnerable Populations Meet Basic Needs
- Basic Needs
- Safety Net Case Management
LIVE UNITED Grants can be used for:
- Events or projects that connect people to one another through volunteer work or community building efforts
- Events or projects that mobilize people and provide opportunities for positive social interaction resulting in improved neighborhoods or communities
- Events or projects that unite us as a community, yet celebrate our diversity
LIVE UNITED Grants CANNOT be used for:
- Individual assistance
- Deficits or debt reduction
- Fundraising, Religious or Political events
- Attendance at conferences or workshops
Receipt of a LIVE UNITED grant does not entitle a recipient organization to receive partner agency status with United Way of Berks County (if not already) or to receive ongoing funding of any kind. Organizations who apply for this grant must be aware that they will need to find other sources of funding to continue further program efforts.
Any non-profit 501(c)(3) organization or community organization utilizing a fiscal agent, with a yearly budget below $250,000 providing health and human services to Berks County residents, is eligible to apply. If collaborating with another agency, that partner’s budget must also be below $250,000. Grassroots, neighborhood–based or smaller organizations are especially encouraged to apply. Previous LIVE UNITED Grant recipients are eligible to apply; however, funds cannot be used for the same program previously funded.
A maximum grant of $5,000 may be requested, with United Way reserving the option to award a lesser amount, based on demonstrated need and available resources.
November 1, 2022 – October 31, 2023. Funds must be spent within a 12-month period after the grant is awarded. A final report will be due at the end of the 12-month period.
Click here to submit an application through United Way’s e-CImpact software system.
The following information will be addressed during the application process:
- Description of the organization including its history, mission and past accomplishments
- Project description, including its activities and how the funds will be used
- Description of how project success will be measured and how it will impact the community
- Demographic and budget information
- 501(c)(3) IRS tax determination letter for non-profit organization or fiscal agent
This is a competitive grant process. LIVE UNITED grants are reviewed and evaluated by a panel of community volunteers and awards are approved by the United Way Board of Directors. Interested applicants must submit an application via the web-based e-CImpact by the end of day, Friday, August 26, 2022. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Completed and submitted applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- How well the project matches the purpose of the LIVE UNITED grant and the use of collaboration to meet a goal
- The strength of the program’s plan to address a community need and make a positive impact for participants and the community
- The ability to deliver the project within the specified budget and requested funds and in the timeframe
- An understanding and articulation of the community need and how the program decreases disparities faced by your target population
Successful organizations are required to complete an e-CImpact report to provide qualitative and quantitative results of the program. This report also includes both demographic and budget actuals and at least 2 photos of the program and clients.
- Wednesday, July 27, 2022 e-CImpact Application Opens
- Friday, August 26, 2022 e-CImpact Application Closes, no extensions will be provided
- By October 7, 2022 Applicants receive notice of funding
- November 1, 2022 Funding cycle begins
- October 31, 2023 Funding cycle ends
- December 2, 2023 Final Report due in e-CImpact, with photos
Questions or support:
2022 LIVE UNITED Grant Application Instructions
- Click here to access e-CImpact
- Click on the link that states “If you are an agency, click here to enter.”
- Use your e-CImpact login and password to access the system. If you have forgotten your password click Forgot your password?. Contact Jen Tinsman at 610-685-4576 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with your user name. (NOTE: If you have NOT applied for United Way funding before, click on the green “Agency Registration” link under the title “Agencies Who Have Not Previously Applied for United Way Funding”. Please be ready to enter your agency’s EIN, contact information and mission. Preferred User Name is your email address.)
- When you log in, click on the Link to Available United Way of Berks County Grants in the Application/Grant List box on the left. You will need to answer two eligibility questions.
- To access the full application and forms, you’ll need to Assign Programs to this Application (towards the top right).
- Select an existing program that will be expanded or enhanced or Create a New Program and Assign it to this Form Packet. You will now see all eight sections (including attachments that will need to be uploaded) of the application. All must be completed before you can submit the application. Simply click on each link to complete that section of the application.
Remember to “Save My Work” (located at the bottom of each section. Only click “Save My Work and Mark As Completed” when you have completed and reviewed all questions within a section.
When all areas are completed as required Submit this Application Now.You have the option to print your application on the submission page if you would like to keep a hard copy.