Purpose of the Grant
This competitive grant is open to schools and organizations serving Berks County students. The grant will provide up to $5,000 in support of summer learning programming. The funds are to help cover expenses related to summer programming June – August 2023.
- Serves Berks County Students Pre-K up to and including 3rd graders as of Fall 2023.
- Requests up to $5,000 per school/organization or grant partnership may be submitted.
- Requests are to support programming and other funding sources should be documented.
- Proposed programming must include a literacy component but may include cross disciplines activities (i.e. STEAM).
- All proposed programs must articulate an evaluation element to measure the outcome success of the literacy component.
- Proposals and final reports must be electronically submitted via e-CImpact.
- If your summer program is open to community, ensure that you are registered on PA211 as a resource for families. Click here to add or update your program information.
Any school or non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is eligible to apply. Previous Summer Learning Grant recipients are eligible to apply, however, funds cannot be used for the same program previously funded unless applicant demonstrates how the program has been changed or enhanced since previous grant awarded.
A maximum grant of $5,000 may be requested, with United Way reserving the option to award a lesser amount, based on demonstrated need and available resources.
Grant applications will be accepted, via e-CImpact* Tuesday, January 3, through Friday, February 3, 2023. The following highlights some of the information collected during the application and reporting process.
- Program details, including the planned literacy component and the intended impact.
- Outcome and output information.
- Demographic information.
- Projected revenue, expenses, and details on how a grant award will be used.
Grant applications must include the name(s) of professional employees involved in the grant application. If an individual school is applying, proposal must be approved by central administration. If the program has technology requirements, IT Manager approval is required.
Successful grant awardees will be notified by Friday March 31, 2023. Funds will be awarded in April 2023 and are to be used by August 2023. A final report is due in e-CImpact by September 29, 2023.
This is a competitive grant process. A volunteer committee will review and evaluate the Summer Learning Grant applications. The volunteer committee will be comprised of representation from the Ready.Set.READ! and United Way boards and committee members. The evaluation will be comprised of a rubric based on the criteria.
Purchasing of Materials
It is the responsibility of the successful grantees to purchase all materials and/or pay contracted fees and to submit a final budget with the final report.
It is the responsibility of the grantee to provide a final report via e-CImpact due no later than September 29, 2023. A reminder notification will be sent providing access to the final report. The report must include the data associated with the outcomes outlined in the proposal, actual expense detail and at least two photographs of students and activities.
The report and photos may be used by United Way of Berks County to promote Berks County literacy activities and to highlight the innovation in our county; please be sure all releases are on file.
Questions or support:
- For technical assistance support with e-CImpact, contact Jen Tinsman at 610-685-4576 or email@example.com.
- For any other grant-related questions or assistance, contact Ashley Chambers at 610-685-4586 or firstname.lastname@example.org
*e-CImpact is a comprehensive grant and performance management software tool that helps simplify the grant application, evaluation, and reporting processes for success. Click here to access.